Technology has changed everyday life in many ways. The Internet has revolutionized communication. The Internet has also created problems and presented new legal issues that are still unraveling to this day. The government severely prosecutes crimes committed online.
Cybercrimes Demand A Serious But Strategic Defense
Sergio Cruz, Esq. in Orlando, can help you stand strong against the government. We take an aggressive approach to protecting your rights, but a careful approach in building our strategy. We tailor every defense based on the unique circumstances and even the parties involved.
We can represent you in state or federal courts across Central Florida in cases involving:
- Internet fraud
- Credit card fraud
- Illegal downloading
- Illegal distribution of viruses/spam
- Identity theft
- Possession and/or distribution of child pornography
- Solicitation of minors through chat rooms
What Makes Internet Crimes And The Penalties So Serious?
Penalties for Internet crimes include imprisonment, fines, restitution, property seizure, probation and community service, depending on the nature of the crime and whether you have a criminal record. This is typical of many criminal offenses, so what makes Internet and cybercrimes so serious?
- You could be charged in multiple jurisdictions: Because the Internet is worldwide and crosses state borders, you could be charged in multiple state jurisdictions and in federal court.
- You could be charged on multiple counts: The crime is punishable per transaction, not situation. This means that if you are accused of identity theft, you could face counts for each stolen identity. If you are charged with illegal downloading, you could face counts for each individual download of a movie, song or software.
- You could face enhanced penalties: Credit card fraud or possession of certain images are two examples of crimes that can be charged as third-degree felonies in Florida. For pictures, the punishment is up to five years in prison for each picture the prosecutor can prove you had in your possession.
The Future Might Look Grim Now, But It Is Possible To Change It
The penalties are very severe, but there are also many defenses available for Internet crimes. They are not always obvious. Discovering and obtaining the evidence necessary to establish a defense can be very complicated. It is crucial you have a strong attorney like Sergio Cruz working for you.
If you are under investigation or have been arrested, call me at 855-784-2538 or send us your information. We offer initial consultations and represent individuals throughout Central Florida.